Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
CONNECT WITH US
Contacting us through this form or the internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.
Find out how much is your case worth.
No Fee Unless You Win!
If you don’t win, you don’t pay.
IMMEDIATE RENTAL CAR
Your vehicle paid off or repaired
We get you the medical treatment you need.
Maximize Your Settlement
Get experienced help for your injury.
After you have suffered a personal injury in Downey, obtaining financial compensation is a key part of getting your life back on track. Even if you are on the road to physical recovery, you would otherwise never fully come back from an accident without financial recovery. However, there is much work to be done before that happens.
The prerequisite of any personal injury claim is that the facts must show that someone else was negligent. However, facts can be interpreted in a number of different ways. Add in an insurance company that does not want to write checks if it can avoid it, and you may have a fight on your hand to be fairly compensated. This is where we come in as personal injury lawyers.
You may wonder if you should call a lawyer or not following an accidental injury, and the truth is that you have no reason not to. Our Downey personal injury attorneys will evaluate your case and advise you of your rights at no cost, so there’s nothing to lose. Contact us at the JLF Firm today.
with a Personal Touch
At the JLF Firm, we handle personal injury cases in the following areas:
When you have been hurt in an accident, you have one chance to get it right when it comes to obtaining
financial compensation. Increase your odds by hiring an award-winning personal injury lawyer for your case.
Proving Negligence in
Your Personal Injury Case
Part of proving negligence is that you show that someone else acted unreasonably in events that caused your injuries. This could involve reconstructing the scene of your accident to show exactly what happened, and it is not an easy undertaking, especially when you are dealing with the physical and emotional after-effects of the accident.
You will need help in telling your side of the story. The first place where you may need to give an account of your accident is to the insurance company. At the JLF Firm, we go to bat for our clients when they are faced with the difficult and intimidating claims process. Everything about the insurance process seems skewed against the little guy. However, when you come to the table with an aggressive and passionate attorney, the insurance company will have to take you seriously and will not be able to get away with lowballing you.
Not every personal injury claim will end with a settlement. There are times when your case must go to trial because the other side will simply not agree to pay for the damage that they caused. When that happens, we are gloves-off litigation counsel ready to fight for you in the courtroom.
As your personal injury lawyers, we are your guide to the legal process. We commit to explaining everything to you along the way in detail and in terms that you can understand. We try to put ourselves in our clients’ shoes with our long record of working for accident victims.
Commercial Rear End Accident.
Head on Accident
Rear End Accident
Injuries Common to Personal Injury Claims
Every personal injury claim follows its own unique course, but there are several kinds of injuries that are commonly associated with these important claims, including:
Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries are often caused by a blow to the neck, back, or shoulders, and the injury can occur anywhere on the spinal cord. Even a relatively minor spinal cord injury can result in chronic pain and a decrease in one’s range of motion. If the injury leaves the cord severed, however, the result is permanent paralysis, which can upend a victim’s life in the blink of an eye.
Burns, Cuts, and Abrasions
Burns, cuts, and abrasions can all be extremely serious injuries that are slow to heal, exceptionally painful, and prone to serious infections and other secondary health concerns. When any one of these injuries occurs on or near one’s face, it can lead to permanent disfigurement.
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
TBIs affect the victim’s brain, which makes them that much more dangerous and complicated. TBIs are often caused by a blow to the head or by the violent shaking of the head on the neck. TBIs often have severe psychological consequences that tend to push one’s support system away just when it's most needed.
Broken bones are very common to personal injury claims, and they are injuries that are as slow to heal as they are painful. Complicated breaks often require surgery and ongoing medical care and attention. When a broken bone doesn’t heal correctly, the victim can face a lifetime of chronic pain and can even experience a permanent disability.
Each of these injuries comes with its own challenges that should be specifically addressed in your personal injury claim.
As mentioned, the insurance company is in the business of making money, and towards this end, it has wide-ranging tactics at its disposal, including:
- Declining claims outright in an attempt to weed out those claimants who give up easily
- Making early settlement offers that don’t even begin to address the claimant’s complete damages and hoping that the claimant will accept out of naivete, desperation, or both
- Attempting to nudge blame away from the at-fault party (who is also the insurance company’s client) and toward the claimant
- Delaying or overly complicating the claims process in the hope that the claimant will walk away in frustration
- Minimizing the claimant’s damages in an attempt to minimize the overall value of the claim
The insurance company is heavily invested in keeping its money, and this translates to playing hardball when it comes to settling claims.
If someone else’s negligence causes you to be injured, you can suffer extensive damages that include:
All of these damages can be much more complex than it might seem.
Your Medical Costs
The serious injuries that are commonly associated with personal injury claims can lead to exorbitant medical expenses. It’s also important to recognize that many such injuries can require long-term medical care and can lead to secondary health concerns that are costly in and of themselves. Never accept a settlement offer until you are well aware of your full range of current and future medical expenses.
With serious injuries come attendant losses in earnings. As you make the difficult journey toward regaining your health and well-being, you’re likely to take a hit regarding your wages. Further, if your injury is quite serious, your earning potential can also suffer losses, and the trajectory of your career could be altered. In light of the fact that many of us calculate our personal contributions in terms of our careers, these losses can lead to considerable hardship.
Pain and Suffering
There is also the component of physical and emotional pain and suffering to consider in your personal injury claim. The psychological damage wrought by being injured in a terrifying accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence can be exceptionally difficult to transcend. Many victims of serious injuries suffer PTSD-like symptoms that can haunt them into the future.
How an Experienced Downey
Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
Your personal injury attorney will help you in myriad ways, including:
- Your attorney will compile all available evidence into a cohesive whole that amounts to a solid claim.
- Your attorney will skillfully negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf – in tireless pursuit of the compensation to which you are entitled.
- Your attorney will help you make critical decisions throughout the claims process that bolster your claim’s validity.
- Your attorney will cut through the insurance company’s obfuscation in defense of your best interests.
- Your attorney will help ensure that you understand the claims process and that you are well informed about protecting your rights from the outset.
Hiring a practiced personal injury attorney who you trust and whose advice you follow is the surest way to strengthen your personal injury claim.
The JLF Firm is a great firm if you need someone to handle your injury case. Jeff and his associates and legal assistants are very precise in what they do. They are skilled, efficient, professional and compassionate. They did such a great job that I even didn't have to appear in a court. I could not have had better representation. I would highly recommend him to anyone! Thank you for the amazing job Jeff!
Last year I was in a bad accident. I found the JLF firm through yelp and was instantly impressed. Upon consulting with Jeff I knew I had made the right decision. He and his staff helped me through the whole process and made my case quick and simple. I got the medical treatment I needed, the compensation I deserved and it didn’t cost me a dime. The JLF firm got me a good settlement all covered by the other party. If you need an attorney Jeff is your guy.
Shane Simmons, Client
Personal Injury FAQ
If you are facing a personal injury claim, there’s a lot to consider, and the answers to some of
the most common FAQs can help you proceed with greater confidence and purpose.
There are many good reasons for hiring and working closely with an experienced personal injury attorney after being injured by someone else’s negligence, but the most important include:
- The insurance system is not set up to support your best interests, and the insurance rep in charge of your case is well prepared to take advantage of your vulnerability after being injured in an accident that was caused by their client’s negligence.
- Obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled is pivotal to your ability to follow the path toward your fullest recovery, and the best way to accomplish this is with a dedicated personal injury attorney in your corner.
- Typically, personal injury attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means they shoulder the financial risk involved. Your attorney won’t get paid the prearranged percentage of your total compensation until you accept a settlement that you negotiate with the insurance company or until the court awards you compensation (if your claim ultimately proceeds to trial). In other words, you can afford an experienced personal injury attorney.
It is difficult for many accident victims to understand that the insurance company that is paid to cover their damages is not on their side. In fact, the insurance company’s primary motivation is accelerating its own profits. As such, taking all of the following steps can help:
- Seeking immediate medical attention after the accident in question and following your doctor’s advice carefully is not only what is best for your health but is also what’s best for your claim. The insurance company is looking for evidence that you are not as injured as you say you are (and therefore require less compensation), and your careful attention to your health and recovery sends a strong message otherwise.
- After being injured in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence is a good time to give social media a hard pass. It’s too easy to give the wrong impression on social media, and we have all had a post or two that didn’t hit its intended mark. The insurance company is looking for any way that it can find to discredit your claim. That picture of you enjoying a margarita on the beach, for example, isn’t in keeping with the seriousness of the injuries you’ve suffered.
- Declining to provide the insurance company with a formal statement is your right, and it is one you are well-advised to exercise. The insurance rep on the other end of the line is very experienced at coaxing claimants into making statements that inadvertently hurt their own claims. Your accomplished personal injury attorney will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
Your personal injury claim will be predicated on evidence that comes from the scene of the accident that leaves you injured. This means that – if you are able – collecting all of the following at the accident site can help bolster your claim:
- Pictures and videos that capture the accident’s aftermath from every angle and any extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to the accident, such as bad weather, impediments to a clear view, a poorly maintained roadway, and more (if the accident was a traffic accident)
- Pictures of any evidence that may have been left on the road, such as skid marks (if the accident was a traffic accident)
- Eyewitness statements and contact information
- Your own brief recounting of exactly how the accident happened (your memories are likely to become jumbled in the stress and upheaval that follows the accident)
If you are unable to gather the evidence on your own, it is very likely that someone at the scene will step in on your behalf.
Contact a Downey
Personal Injury Attorney
After your accident, help is just a phone call away when you reach out to a Downey personal injury attorney. To schedule your free initial consultation with the JLF Firm, call us today at (888) 553-3476 or contact us online. We work for you on a contingency basis, so you owe us nothing for our legal services unless your case is successful.
Great law firm. They helped me with a auto vs bike accident and I was so happy with the results. They got all my medical bills paid, bike replaced and got me compensation for my injuries. The firm was always responsive and helped with all my needs. If you need an attorney I cannot stress enough how great The JLF Firm is. They are the attorney you need.
Eric G., Client
Jeff helped my brother out after a pretty bad accident. He was very informative, knowledgeable, and easy to reach. His paralegal hilda was also fantastic whenever Jeff wasn't available. The JLF firm helped us in our time of need and I am immensely grateful.
Babak E., Client
I was involved in a bad Uber accident as a passenger. We were hit by a drunk driver with no drivers license no insurance. I had to go get medical help and I had nobody to turn to and I was referred to Jeff who has been such a great help. He has help me get medical treatment and pursue the insurance to get a good settlement. I would highly recommend Jeff to anyone needing a lawyer.
Nicco M., Client
Jeff is great, one of the best attorneys around. Always answers all my questions within a day. He works weekends, holidays, he's always just killing it for his clients. If you want amazing service, Jeff is the best.